boot hangs at "Loading speakup........."

duane M suthern suthern at lycos.com
Sat Apr 7 10:04:26 EDT 2001

I'm setting up a Slackware 7.1 computer for a blind relative who wants
to try Speakup and Linux. I have compiled 2 custom kernels, the only
difference between them is one has speakup (ver. 010a) the other doesn't. I have booted the speakup kernel once, everything worked very well. Since then I have not been able to get past the message "Loading speakup......." at which point the computer hangs. I checked the obvious things like making sure the DecTalk Express is powered up and plugged in securely.

There is no /etc/speakup.conf file because I can't find what options should go in it, is that file required or will it use defaults? What am I doing wrong please? Note that the second kernel (without speakup) boots just fine. The kernel version is 2.2.18 on a P133 with 48Megs of ram. The System.map file was copied from /usr/src/linux to /boot/System.map where the old map file was located.

Thanks,
dm suthern