New user encountering problems

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Mon Sep 25 07:43:34 EDT 2000

> Redhat may have more out of the box rpms
> but they often don't behave as you'd expect them to out of the box without
> a bit of tweeking.

This is a bit of an understatement. In fact, a couple times I have had
flashbacks to the evil OS installing a couple things. The assumption that
I want to be like the person they designed the RPM for isn't correct. With
at least one mail transport program out there, you can't fix the problem
with the RPM. You must uninstall the RPM, hunt down a couple config files
left, then configure and compile the way you want things.

While I have found RPM to be handy for some things, others turn to a major
pain.

--
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net