New user encountering problems

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.eu.org
Mon Sep 25 04:16:57 EDT 2000

Debian put stuff in nonstandard places?
Actually Debian is the most FSSTND complient distribution out there at the
moment. You must remember; that the best thing about standards is that there
are so many to choose from.

Regarding "lots of stuff doesn't compile" it usually means the person between
the chair and keyboard has (1) not edited the package Makefiles,
(2) not configured a kernel source tree,
or (3) doesn't have a clue on where the include files live.
Many packages such as the updated network card drivers *REQUIRE* * R E Q U
I R E * a *configured* kernel source tree on the system. The kernel
provides many of the include files necessary for sane compilation, and you
don't get linux/autoconf.h without running make config or equivalent.

I admit that many packages scatter config files all over the file system,
/etc, /usr/lib/ /usr/share; /usr/etc/ /usr/local/etc/ /opt/etc; /var/lib
etc; at least Debian puts *all* config files in etc. This does make it simpler
when your system gets big with lots of packages on it.
There are allways very good reasons why Debian does things the way it does,
for example the conf.modules generated from /etc/modutils/* and the like; either
take a look at the Debian policy documentation, or the docs in /usr/doc

Compiling specialized software on a Linux system requires you to be on nodding
terms with Makefiles and at the very least; able to read the comments in
config files and edit apropriately. Redhat may have more out of the box rpms
but they often don't behave as you'd expect them to out of the box without
a bit of tweeking. Most packages use gnu autoconf so compilation is a breeze;
however learning about your compiler's make system; where system files are etc
is an excellent investment in time if you want to consider yourself a
competant Linux admin or you must tinker with things.

Regards, Kerry.