New user encountering problems

Jacob Schmude jacobs at ncinter.net
Sat Sep 23 19:40:50 EDT 2000

Hi Brent
	Well, you can certainly turn an option on, bu the results will be
on your own head in rh, at least that's always been my experience. I've
always had trouble with it, especially some of those funky patches that
should not have been applied. My attitude is if I want to test a beta
patch, I'll apply it myself and test it, which I often do. However, I
always have the patch file to reverse it should it not work. RH does not
give you these. I do believe that if we could get rid of some of those
patches, we could successfully build a speakup kernel out of a redhat
source RPM.
	It should be noted, that I'm not bashing RH only. Mandrake and
TurboLinux do this exact same thing. Mandrake is, by far, the absolute
worst distro as far as stability goes. At least RH is pretty stable apart
from its kernel trouble.