New user encountering problems

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Fri Sep 22 20:34:46 EDT 2000

> Does the first issue sound like a kernel problem, or a LILO issue?

I believe this is a kernel problem. Once the kernel starts expanding (you
get the loading and the dots, then the kernel quickly takes over. My guess
is that you used the kernell source provided by RedHat. If you did, then
you should download the kernel (possibly from kernel.org) and apply the
patch compile, etc.) RedHat doesn't provide the complete kernel and as a
result the built images don't work correct. Sorry I can't give you more
complete details. Just that it is common to discover you can't build a
working kernel with speakup from the RedHat source package.

> Does it matter which serial port the DECTalk Express is on?
Again, I could be wrong, but it should probe for the synth. There is a way
to specify the port and the speed, but I can't help you on that. I believe
most the time you should be able to just set it up and run. Incedently you
can boot with no synth present. So if you think there may be a problem
just turn off the synth. A good setup will boot, then you can add the
synth.

--
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net