extending a synth's life when needed to be portable

rob at mur.org.uk rob at mur.org.uk
Wed Sep 20 07:44:35 EDT 2000

Hi

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 09:24:31PM -0500, Brent Harding wrote:
> 				Is there anything one can plug the charging jack in to on most synths,
> and or laptops, namely a dell inspiron 3500 and a dectalk express that
> would give me external power without needing an outlet? Is there a device I
> could plug the charging cube in to that would have a battery in it that one
> could use for this purpose? Someone told me that if I just got an adapter
> with the proper voltage, that one could hook it to some external battery
> and plug it in to the charging jack, does this usually work OK? The idea of
> it being, having wires wrapped around the positive and negative terminal on
> one end, and the connector on the other to plug in to the dectalk or laptop.

The dectalk works fine off a 12 volt battery, you just need to get the
right connector. You might have more difficulty with the laptop
however because they sometimes use weird connectors and voltages. One
solution to this is to get the statpower notepower 75 or similar,
which lets you use the standard powersupply which came with the laptop
with a 12 volt battery. I have used this setup in a car, a boat and
while camping. It works great. Make sure the battery has enough
capacity to power the laptop for as long as you need it.

Regards

--
Rob Murray