dsl and the confusedness

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Tue Sep 12 21:26:26 EDT 2000

The thing that I would say is that while you can take measures to prevent
the problems posed when using a single NIC, I can never recomend it. There
are work arounds that are for a pinch and there are workarounds that are
as good as the original. A single NIC poses more chalenges and I can't
recomend it to a person other then as an excercise. And certainly can't
recomend it when a person isn't clear on the whole subject at hand anyway.

In reference to the ISP making DSL behave like a dial-up, I have a friend
with it. Since he is using Winblows it is fine for him. But I would
recomend any wanting linux and especially those with ideas of sharing the
connection that way to avoid this. It isn't hard, those that I am aware of
making the thing appear to DUN are using USB modems for their DSL
connection. (I would guess that the DSL modem is setup internal to present
a modem type interface on the USB port and act as a VPN interface to the
ISP. But this is a guess and they don't say on the web site I looked
at.)

--
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net