To Caldera or not to Caldera

Gorgotek Systems gorgotek at gte.net
Sun Sep 3 15:16:53 EDT 2000

My experience with different Linux distributions has been that each one
does things slightly different, configuration utilities, directory trees
in different locations sometime symbolicaly linked for compatability,
different startup scripts to bring up network connections and the use of
different hw device file names. As a general rule I try to use the
utilities of the Linux distribution that I am using to configure stuff
first and if that fails I will try the generic Linux way. I think
Caldera uses "lizard" which corresponds to the RedHat "linuxconf".

Can you get a new IBM Thinkpad with nothing installed? I would opt for
Linux since it should be cheaper but If you plan on running Windows
under Vmware you may opt for a Windows pre-install since Windows may be
alot cheaper when acquired with a Thinkpad. It would be nice if you get
get the Thinkpad with Linux, Vmware and Windows pre-installed.

Past experience with Dell computer we actually chose to pay more money
with a pre-installed RedHat desktop to see how Dell would install Linux.
Our only choice of pre-installed operating systems were Windows OR
RedHat 6.0, since we wanted a multi-boot we then had to go out and
purchase Windows 98 for an additional 200 dollars. I think I understand
this philosophy, based upon statistics Dell wants to know if sales are
from Linux OR Windows.

One thing you may want to confirm is whether or not you can to a "text"
based install with the Caldera distribution, I know with RedHat or
Mandrake you can still select a "text" based install.

Greg Keto