IT employment (was Re: which prebuilt linux boxes seem to work best?)

Victor Tsaran vtsaran at nimbus.ocis.temple.edu
Sun Oct 22 01:57:35 EDT 2000

Geoff, you are correct. Many enterprises use Solaris, I believe, the reason
for this is because this is commercial product. If something goes wrong, you
have someone to sue. The same argument applies to the usage of NT. Not many
business, especially big ones, want to switch to Linux because they wouldn't
have anyone to blame if something goes wrong.
I tried installing Sollaris8, Intel edition, at home and yes, it is possible
to pick it up. Of course, one would have to install with sighted people
around because there is no way to do it over serial port or Speakup. Another
thing about SOllaris is there are a lot of conceptual differences between
Linux and Sollaris. For instance, the disk is alyed out differently. One of
the problems I see with Solaris is that they use a lot of graphical
configuration tools. But, hopefully, after the Gnome/Sun project was
launched, perhaps we will be able to access GNOME as well.
Solaris doesn't ship a lot of GNU tools by default, but they have a web site
where one can download precompiled binaries for their SUN system. For
instance, if you decided to install Emacspeak, you'd have a bit of trouble
finding and installing necessary componenets such as TCL, GCC and Make. I
know, T.V. Raman was working on Solaris for quite a bit of time, so it is
not impossible for a blind person.

Best,
Vic

have you thought of visiting Cybertsar's Internet Kingdom? It is still
alive!
Here is the URL:
http://nimbus.ocis.temple.edu/~vtsaran/