best way to install linux to a laptop

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Tue Oct 17 16:56:31 EDT 2000

I will attempt to address a number of issues you have brought up:

1.  Hardware detection: Nearly every distribution can detect
hardware. The differences come down to configuration methods and placement
of files. The other difference is installation of pre-packaged
bianaries. (One other note, I would recomend not I repeat not going with
RedHat 7 as there could be some compatibility problems with libraries and
why invite such potential problems starting out?)

2.  Booting from CD, or dealing with posible floppy, CD swap problems. If
you have access to a CDROM burner, you can make your own bootable CD that
uses the correct kernel. If this isn't an option, then you will want to
select either Debian or Slackware. Debian allows downloading most of the
files. Slackware is laid out in such a manner that installing most things
from floppy is doable. (Though it will mean a lot of floppys going through
the drive.)

3.  Selecting a distribution because your ISP uses it makes no
sense. Having said that, I think Debian can give you all the benifits of
RedHat and a whole lot more. First, you can install a version of RPM that
will install RPMs without problem (though it is not the recomended means
as that doesn't update the dpkg database). Second, you can install
linuxconf the main program for administering your machine. This is a great
program and I highly recomend it. You can add users, setup your network,
and a whole lot more. For ease of administration I haven't found anything
that beats Linuxconf. While RedHat came out with it, thanks to GPL you can
easily add it to Debian. (And the package is ready to go.)

The latest Debian will allow you to accept a default install that sets up
most things needed. It finds PCMCIA if you have it (and removes it if you
don't). You can easily install it using a PPP acount if you can't bot a
floppy then mount a CD.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net