Building a new system....

Frank J. Carmickle frankiec at braille.uwo.ca
Mon Oct 16 22:57:53 EDT 2000

Sir you are most certainly correct.  My statements were to say that if you
can avoid it you would have one less thing slowing down the pci bus.  One
thing that we do need to look at in new systems using the ev6 bus is that
memory, processor, and pci bus are on a crossbar switch.  So there is no
system bus.  Look at some docs on alphas to see what I am talking about.
Now it would have been really cool if the guys at amd went with a slotb
instead of the slota.  We could of had machines that were interchangable
alpha with athlon.  The really cool idea that some folks were hoping for
was a way to have an athlon and an alpha on the same board.  That would
take some major os rewriting!  Although I would want one.  An OS that was
cross platform on one machine at the same time.  A lot of the developers
over on the alphaNT list were doing some dreaming for where the smp code
could go.

Frank