Building a new system....

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Mon Oct 16 13:07:35 EDT 2000

Actually, all of the system goes through wait states when accessing any
bus. In order of speed we have the CPU, then memory bus, then PCI bus,
then ISA bus. So yes, the ISA bus is noticably slower then any of the rest
of the system. And yes the system must wait on it when an access occurs.

PCI is much superior to the ISA bus, but it is totally unrealistic to say
that it is unstable. You would have a hrad time selling that to all the
people using machines that use an ISA bus (some of which have run
continuously for years.

Now I am with Buddy, that an ISA slot could be a good thing. I don't know
of a lower cost speach synth then the internal Double Talk. Perhaps the
tripple talk costs arround the same I don't know. And if a person owns a
working double talk I really can't see justification to get a new synth
all in the name of no ISA port. (And by the way often times serial an
parellel ports are hung off the ISA bus even when there are no ISA slots
made available. The chips for that are cheaper then making them PCI.)

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net