progress report - alsa+sblive

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.eu.org
Sat Oct 14 08:21:36 EDT 2000

It is important to realise that the ac97 mixers don't behave as you think they
do. Also the sound blaster live is only designed to give line-level output so
if your speakers aren't amplified you might run into greif. In contrast, the
sb16 had an amplified out so that meant your speakers did not require batteries
etc. The modern soundcards only produce line level output normally so you need
to amplify it.

Also remember; other drivers/mixers are often inferior; not letting you
unleesh the full power of the soundcard. The alsa mixer is necessarily
complicated to let you tweak every feature on the card, oss/free mixers
aren't that clever or full featured. That said, you might live your life
not needing the funky features; I personally preferr to have 100 knobs to twiddle
even if I don't fully understand them.
Good luck with the sblive; I am considering buying one soon.

Regards, Kerry.