progress report - alsa+sblive

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Sat Oct 14 07:52:32 EDT 2000

Thanks to Jacob, Bill, Vic and others for your help... I have persisted
with the alsa drivers and have the card working now, but I am not that
happy with it and may try some of the other drivers you have
suggested. While it works, it seems totally unresponsive to most of the
options in 'amixer' although the program seems to accept my commands - no
errors shown, and 'alsactl' seems to store and restore them okay. BTW -
Bill - I was unable to use the asound.conf you sent because it specified a
difference chip for the mixer. I created a new asound.conf with alsactl
and then adjusted its settings for all those features I recognized. I left
'video' 'phone' and 'PC speaker' alone. But I get just barely audible
sound despite all the gain settings - even setting 'Master' to 0 fails to
mute the card, and setting it to max does not increase it.

I will play a little more before abandoning aLSA WITH THIS CARD. oH WELL -
BETTER THAN NOTHING, ALTHOUGH MY OLD SYSTEM SURE WAS A WINNER IN
COMPARISON!

cHUCK.

My web site is http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh
Back when I was a boy it was 40 miles toeverywhere,
uphill both ways, and it was always snowing!