network configuration problem

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Wed Oct 11 22:07:55 EDT 2000

Okay, the problem is solved! Frankie you were absolutely correct abaout the
problem being the HW flow control, but the solution was a lot simpler than
you suggested. It turns out my modem has a couple of default factory
settings, and one of them implements HW flow control - "at&f1" instead of
just "at&f" - I changed my modem initialization string to "at&f1l0" and it
works like a charm. My modem is very loud, so I have to use l0 in order not
to wake up the neitghbors when I dial in so early in the morning. This is
the first external modem I have used in many years, so it took me by
surprise... Thanks for all your help - now it's back to configuring this
awesome new machine of mine.

Chuck