emacs terminal devices

Jacob Schmude <Jacob Schmude jacobs at ncinter.net
Mon Oct 9 02:19:53 EDT 2000

Hi

     This may be a bit off topic for this list, and I apologize in advance. Since I'm using kernel 2.4, I can't use speakup and must use emacspeak. The problem comes, however, when I need to open a terminal session.
     I can open it as root, and all goes well. However, I can't open it as a user. Since I was using the devFS, I turned that off and it worked as a user then. So it's no doubt a device permission problem. However, I don't know what devices to check. I've tried using fuser to give me the info, but the two devices were /dev/tty0 and /dev/ptmx as root, and only /dev/tty0 when it tries to open a terminal as a user. /dev/tty0 is mode 600, root.tty, and ptmx is mode 666 root.tty. This is with the devFS on and off, so it must be some other device. Does anyone know what device this may be?

Jacob