new system shaping up

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.eu.org
Wed Oct 4 03:45:51 EDT 2000

The other problem with the boards with the onboard SIS 8236 and similar cards;
if you leave the onboard video enabled you loose 20% of your memory bandwidth
and the video card eats system ram to use for video ram. Nice in theory but evil
in practice. You also need extremely new X servers to run the shared ram versions
of the SIS, they're nothing flash. Far better onboard video can be had with the
ati Ragepro128 and friends.

Regards, Kerry.