World Blind Union

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Tue Oct 3 14:42:46 EDT 2000

The World Blind Union quadrennial convention is scheduled to take place in
Melbourne, Australia this coming November. Yours truly is attending. I
would love the opportunity to meet any of my Aussie friends during my
brief, 6 night, sojourn down under

Far more iumportantly, however, I would also love it if any of you would
be interested in trying to get some kind of linux demo going at this
conference. I think it would be particularly valuable given the low costs
involved with linux, brltty, Speakup, and Emacspeak. I think low cost
information access would be of interest to the many WBU attendees
especially from more economically disadvantaged countries. Certainly, it
is high time that blind people's opportunities under linux had some
attention from the professional blindness community.

I offer this suggestion with no knowledge whatsoever about whether it is
still possible to get booth space in the demo area at WBU, or what that
might cost. But, whatever those particulars, I know I could not undertake
this alone because I'm there primarily to show DAISY and American
Foundation for the Blind (AFB)'s imminent publications using DAISY.

Anyone want to take this up with me?

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

janina at afb.net
(202) 408-8175
http://www.afb.org/gov.html

The invention of the printing press is often named as the crowning
achievment of the past millenium. Yet, it's significance is about to be
eclipsed. Read our White Paper: "Surpassing Gutenberg" available at:

	http://www.afb.org/ebook.html

Are you a software developer? Make your applications accessible. Read
http://www.afb.org/technology/accessapp.html to learn how.