speakup on a sparc

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.eu.org
Tue Oct 3 07:01:08 EDT 2000

Ok well most of speakup is written in C so in theory it is portable but there
is a but.

Regarding speakup and solarus I doubt Sun is going to give you the source to
solarus and even if they do, integrating speakup would violate the gpl since
you'd be mixing speakup with non-gpl code. Not that Kirk would mind too much
I'd wager; but the internals of solarus and Linux are extremely different.
Let's  say we fix the kernel differences; there are more woes because the sparc
has different serial hardware. Whereas the pc uses 8250 16450 and 16550 chips
mostly; the sparcs older ones a tleast use the Zilog z8530 a chip capable of
both rs232 and 422 and in no way register compatible with the 8250 and
workalike chips.
Kirk does his serial interface code inside speakup which saves mucking with
the kernel serial code; I guess that is what you do in kernel space but it
has it's disadvantages because to port to new serial chips we need to write new
drivers for the chips. I think I know programming talent
that might be interested, now to find some cheap cheap cheap sun 4c gear in
Australia so they have the hardware to tinker with. Remember however that as
an integral part of the Sun openprom you can use a serial console so yes speakup
would rock on a Sun but we do have serial right from powerup if we need it.
This isn't the case under Inhell boxes; at least you can set up a sun over
serial port and I really like that.

Regards, Kerry.