down for the count

Frank J. Carmickle frankiec at braille.uwo.ca
Mon Oct 2 14:18:53 EDT 2000

Hi Chuck

I would strongly suggest not going with a prebuilt system.  That is my
personal preference.  I like Asus mother boards micron memory fujitsu hard
drives and sblive is the best consumer audio card right now.  If you build
your own system you can get the thing that you want.  If you buy someones
prebuilt system you will get parts that they can get cheep.  I also like
buying a nice case.  Sometimes big companies cases are nice and sometimes
they are really crappy.  Depending on your budget I would go with either
an Athlon or a K62 or K63.  Right now you can get the Asus a7v for around
$140 and the 800mhz thunderbird athlon for around $160.  And if your
afraid to put it together yourself don't be.  If you can get some sighted
asistance for an hour you will have no problem getting it all put
together.  These new boards are jumperless and you don't need to really
set much in the bios.

Just my $0.02.  If you need any help just drop me a line.  I would love to
help any way I can.

Frank