missing modules.dep file

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Thu Nov 30 14:05:21 EST 2000

I hope someone may have a suggestuib about my most recent problem... a
missing modules.dep file. I am upgrading my kernel from 2.2.16 to 2.2.17
and have done all the usual things - applied the speakup patches, done a
make config, make dep, make bzImage, make modules, make modules_install,
and make install. I have a /lib/modules/2.2.17 directory as well as a
/lib/modules/2.2.16 and the new modules were moved to the new directory
okay. Lilo is on the MBR and is updated by make install.

When I reboot, the kernel starts talking and in fact it is 2.2.17 - so far
so good - but then a little frather along I hear something about a
"runaway modprobe" a couple of times, followed by an unending series of
error messages like this:
modprobe unable to locate module dependencies file
/lib/modules/2.2.17/modules.dep
no such file or directory

This goes on indefinitely until I finally have to press the front panel
reset button. Rebooting into 2.2.16, I notice that the 2.2.16 modules
directory does have a file called modules.dep, but sure enough, the 2.2.17
modules directory does not.

This is a Slackware 7.1 distribution. The 2.2.16 kernel (which works) was
recompiuled too, usi;ng the same steps. I tried two ways of putting
speakup into the 2.2.17 kernel: one was with cvs, and the other the more
traditional patching method. Both ended in the same runaway modprobe and
missing modules.dep file.

One suggestion I read said in effect if I am having trouble with modules,
avoid them! But there must be a simple explanation for what is happening
here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Puzzled - Chuck

My web site is http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh
Some peoples mouths work faster than their brains.
They say things they haven't even thought of yet.