retrieving files

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Mon Nov 13 10:43:49 EST 2000

I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have been retrieving
files from various internet sites with no difficulty for a long time,
using lynx, or ftp, or lately using wget. Until recently all the files I
have ever needed have hae either "http:" or "ftp:" as their protocol
prefixes, and when that has been the case, it has not mattered what the
file type was - tgz, html, txt, rm, mp3, whatever.

With the advent of trplayer however, I have noticed other protocol
prefixes on files I wish to download, and I cannot for the life of me
figure out how to do it. They are sound files (ending in .rm or .ra) and
the prefixes are "pnm:" and "rtsp:". I can play such files fine while
online, but I would like to retrieve them in some cases to have a local
copy. Are there any tools or tricks that I am overlooking to download
files whose URL begins with pnm: or rtsp:?

I recently upgraded my old system to a shiny new one here, and in the
process I broke my vsound program. Vsound worked like a charm on the old
system and allowed me to play the kinds of files I am talking about and
convert them into .wav files on my local system. From there I could make
them into mp3 files. However, on my faster machine, Slackware 7.1 instead
of 4.0, an sblive card instead of an awe64, the latest alsa drivers
instead of the older version 4.1, vsound is a disaster. Erik Di Castro
tried like the dickens to duplicate my difficulty but was unable to. He
configured his system very nearly like my own except he retained his OSS
drivers and not alsa drivers, but was unable to make vsound misbehave. He
concluded that my alsa drivers are at fault.

Aside from fixing vsound, I cannot think of another way to retrieve those
files. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Chuck

PS - If the answer to this question is illegal (i.e. if I am not supposed
to have copies of such files) write to me privately - I will never tell!

My web site is http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
		-- Winston Churchill