security

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Wed Nov 1 18:25:06 EST 2000

There are Perl scripts, called Bastille, that I have found helpful. They
walk one through the process of locking down various services. There are
good explanations on screen as you go about the reasons and trade-offs
involved. It took a bit of study for me to learn to run the scripts,
because Speakup wasn't tracking as nicely as I might have liked, but I did
get it figured out. Also, just the text in these scripts is an excellent
primer on security, imho.

Look for the scripts at http://www.bastille-linux.org.
 On Sun, 29 Oct
2000, Joseph Norton wrote:

> All this talk about security brings up an interesting question.  Are there
> things one can look for to tell his system is being hacked or that
> attempts are being made.  I have looked in /var/log/messages and
> /var/log/syslog, but, I'm really not sure what to look for.  I remember
> seeing the word "victim" somewhere in a cert advisory (I think), but, I
> assume if I see this word, my system has definitely been compromised.

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

janina at afb.net
(202) 408-8175
http://www.afb.org/gov.html

The invention of the printing press has been named the crowning achievment
of the past millenium. Yet, electronic publishing will soon eclipse it.
Read our White Paper: "Surpassing Gutenberg" available at:

	http://www.afb.org/ebook.html

Are you developing software? Make it accessible to blind computer users.
Read http://www.afb.org/technology/accessapp.html to learn how.