Running Speakup on a zip drive

Jacob Schmude jacobs at ncinter.net
Sat May 27 20:32:10 EDT 2000

	Well I notice a problem already. If you are using an IDE drive,
you don't want to use a scsi partition. What IDE controller is it on,
master or slave? Here's a summary of root devices for IDE drives:
hda: ide controller 1, master
hdb: ide controller 1, slave
hdc: ide controller 2, master
hdd: ide controller 2, slave
	For example, if it was on the master of the second controller, you
might set the load line to:
\linux\loadlin \linux\vmlinuz.spk root=/dev/hdc4 rw
	You were reading readme.ppa, but that's for the parallel port
version of the drive, not the IDE version.
	Just try different IDE partitions, you'll probably eventually find
the right one. If the kernel panics, you know you've got the wrong one.
	Another idea is to copy loadlin.exe and the vmlinuz.spk kernel to
you're hard disk. Get the dos drivers out of autoexec.bat (or
whatever) and use the zip drive as the root device. In short, load the
kernel from the hard disk, but use the zip disk at the root device. An
example:
c:\linux> loadlin vmlinuz.spk root=/dev/hdc4 rw