Changing my prompt

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.eu.org
Mon May 8 09:52:01 EDT 2000

And here is where I got bitten.
There is a difference between .bashrc and .profile. .bashrc is executed for all
shells, .profile is executed for login shells only.

It gets worse: .profile was the old default however the new default under
Debian at least is .bash_profile and .profile is no longer sourced if
.bash_profile exists. In summary check that bash manpage.

As to the prompt style, having the path in the super user prompt has stopped
me hosing the wrong directory more times than I can count, and with undeletion
under the ext2 file system a grief trip; it is not something to be undertaken
lightly.

Regards, Kerry.