need comments

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Tue Mar 28 10:08:04 EST 2000

Hi again folks:  The current way that I do probing for synths is
reliable sometimes and with some synths.  I have been trying to decide
how I could make it more reliable more often.  The reason we have
these probing problems is because many of the synths are not designed
to interact with the system controlling them.  They are designed to
take data and commands and just execute them.  What I have been toying
with doing is just cycle through the ports checking to see if I have
CTS and if so, saying okay, I got it.

My question to you all is do you think this is an acceptable way of
going about it?  It would mean that a person with a serial synth would
need to have it on the lowest serial port to have it found reliably.
I would be interested in your opinions.  If you don't like the idea,
then I would like a workable suggestion for how to make it work.  I am
not interested in criticism without an alternative solution.

  Kirk