[blinux-newbie] blind + linux = blinux

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Fri Mar 17 11:55:10 EST 2000

Mike Gorse <mgorse at WPI.EDU> writes:

> I do not have a DEC-talk PC to test yasr with and don't know if it
> currently works with it, but the support is badly broken at least for the
> express, and I really don't know what to do about it (ie, sending ctrl-c
> seems to silence it but cause it to eat some of the following characters,
> and I tried having yasr read a character after sending the ^c as the

Hi Mike:  When you send the Dectalk Express a ctrl-c it takes quite a
while to clear the buffers and all.  They pull down a signal, I think
it's cts, until the synth is ready again.  If you want to grab my
dectlk.c driver out of the newdrv.tar.gz file on ftp.braille you can
see how I handle that.  It is in the function speakup_write_tts().  I
don't know about the internal either but it wouldn't surprise me if
they have a register bit which should be monitored.  It doesn't work
that way for the older Dectalk externals.  That's why we need to have
separate drivers for both.

  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061