Software synths?

Bart Bunting bart at socs.uts.edu.au
Mon Mar 13 08:15:51 EST 2000

Christopher Moore writes:
 > Under Linux, the only software speech I've tried is Festival.  I found it
 > too slow for practical use.  Anyone know of ports of any of the windows
 > synths like Flextalk or Eloquence?  These have good response under windows
 > and would probably be even better in Linux.

ibm has released ibm viavoice outloud beta for linux.  it is
esentially eloquence.

although there seems to be some problems with stopping speech quickly.
it is however responsive, and sounds the same as under windows.

there is also mbrola which is quite a good sounding synth, but suffers
from simmilar problems e.g. stopping speech.

Bart