PDA hardware

cpt.kirk at 1tree.net cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Sun Mar 12 16:31:57 EST 2000

Ok, here is where I am at on my hardware survey so far. There are two
options that I see as viable choices to head towards currently. I will
list each with the observations I have concerning them. More feedback is,
of course, welcome. In fact, that is the whole point.

Motorolla MC68000 series processor
This is the family that the Palm pilots work on. There are several readily
available platforms to work with on the market to adapt to our use. The
lowest cost option being the handspring Visor retailing for about $150.
This has a USB interface and a propriatary (though accessible) expansion
slot. Used Palms can be purchased, and one company offers souped up Palms
though the cost goes up to about $850.

There is a version of Linux available for this platform. (www.uclinux.org)
The version of Linux can be placed as the native OS on the enhanced Palms
that I mentioned going from $450 to $850. One can get any of the devices
to load Linux though. Also, there is a emulator available to experiment
and develop with. The Linux distro does run on the emulation package.

Also, the organization behind the distro is selling simm packages that
will run Linux for $210. It has one serial port. Other IO may be adaptable
to feed a doubletalk synth. Speakup will probably need some porting work
to run on this platform. Upgrades are going to be quite limited.

Intel X86
I think most of us are well aware of this platform. Prices for a board of
usable power consumption and size range from $150 up. The $150 board would
be a 386 with 2 MB ram. There is a distribution that will run under such
(www.etlinux.org). There is no choice but to do some hardware work with
this, but I honestly think it is surmountable. Also all prices I have
quoted are single quantity pricing. A price break would be seen at 5 to
10 units.

Most all of the x86 borads come with 2 serial ports. Ethernet controllers
are also available and solid state storage can go as large as 240 MB
currently. Addition of a notebook type hard drive is possible (though at
the expense of battery life and weight). I honestly think a 486 unit with
16 MB ram and 16 MB solid state hard drive can be built for $500 in single
quantitys. Understand that options will add cost. That price is not
including a modem. But modem and or a ethernet card can be added for about
$100.

Also, the x86 platform has an advantage in that I am familiar with the
platform. The amount of porting will be minimized.

One last note:
If I don't respond to a particular message concerning the PDA, it does not
mean that I haven't read and considered what was said. Money permitting I
will have something that has speech output and some form of braille input
by late summer. Also, I will shortly repost what I have so far in the way
of what to include.

Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

Your fly might be open (but don't check it just now).