braille input

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Sat Mar 11 09:56:56 EST 2000

The way the BNS allows control characters to be input is to allow the use
of the space key as a shift key, much like the insert key in the speakup
review functi8ons. The arithmetic is encouraging: you get '2 to the 6th'
combinations on the normal six keys, and another '2 to the 6th' with the
simultaneous press (touch?) of the space key.

I personally love braille, and believe that all blind people should use
it, but the reality is that most blind people do not, and will not, and so
you need to think carefully about whose needs you intend to meet. On the
other hand, with a suitable software tutorial package for newbies, a touch
screen with speech feedback is an excellent way to actually teach braille.

What we need to find is a "push screen" rather than a "touch screen". One
where the switch action has a substantial amount of "reluctance". I have
seen control pads like that on kitchen appliances, they act like sluggish
or slightly insensitive touch pads. You can feel them and examine their
surface by finger without activating them.

Chuck.

My Web site is http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759.