Installed OK But No Speech

Geoff Shang gshang10 at scu.edu.au
Sat Mar 11 19:12:20 EST 2000

Hi Janina:

Wow.  What a nice mess you're in. <grin>

Well, it would seem to me that you need to append the speakup_ser=1 in your
lilo.conf file, but I guess you figured that already.  Your primary problem
is, of course, getting to it via speech.

If you've got something like another computer you can hang off the serial
port, you could try logging in as root on the local console and issuing:

/sbin/getty -hL ttyS1 9600 vt100

the h is for hardware flow control and L is for local, whatever that
means.  This should give you a login prompt on the serial port.  This will
of course be of no use if you don't have a user-level account as debian
defaults to not letting root log in this way (you have to su to it
afterwoods).  I presume you don't have a working ethernet setup or you'dve
probably tried this already, though similar restrictions on root logins
probably apply here too.

The other thing I can think of, short of trying loadlin from a dosbox in
windows, is putting in the debian boot disk again and getting speech that
way.  If I remember correctly, you should be able to alt-F2 to another
console and get a bash login prompt.  You could then login as root, mount
any unmounted file systems (you presumably have to get the installer to
mount the root FS first) and do what you need to do before rebooting.  Note
that I'm only going by what I read in the debian 2.0 install manual and
nothing I've said may necessarily apply to the debian 2.2 installer (Gene
and Kirk, comments please).

That's all I can think of off-hand.  Good luck!!

Geoff.