Installed OK But No Speech

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sat Mar 11 18:50:15 EST 2000

Hi:
This is mainly a note to Gene Collins who's been giving me a direct hand
with a Debian install. But, I'm cc'ing the list to maximize my help
resources! <grin>

I've just concluded installing a base Debian 2.2 on my IBM Thinkpad 560Z.

I'm pretty certain the install went smoothly. No complaints during the
process, at least. Also, I know that lilo is working as it loads and I'm
able to restart with a Control-Alt-Delete.

I have no speech, however. Is that to be expected at this stage? The way I
had speech during the installation was to pass speakup_ser=1 to the
kernel. Seems linux sees my ir port as ttyS0, and my serial as ttyS1.

Anyway, I'm in a new kind of funny position. I tried at first to linload
following a floppy DOS boot. That didn't work because the something in the
process accessed the floppy which just spun and spun. So, I booted Windows
and did a shutdown to MS DOS. On the Thinkpad that forces a reboot into
DOS. But now I can't get back to that DOS prompt because lilo never gave
me the opportunity to specify a second OS. So, I can't now get back to a
hard-disk boot of DOS in order to try and boot my installation from
linload.

Any ideas?

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Information Systems Research & Development
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

janina at afb.net