braille input

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sat Mar 11 13:05:02 EST 2000

Hi, Again:

Rates of braille literacy are generally given at between 5% and
10%. You've also figured out the reason for this pretty well. Any kind of
literacy is more difficult for adults than for children. This goes for
learning a new spoken language (think of immigrants' accents while their
kids have far fewer accent issues), and it goes for any kind of reading
and writing literacy. So, since the surest way to acquire a disability is
to live long enough, it should not be surprising that braille literacy
rates are low.

This does not answer whether people will like brailling on a PDA,
however. Powerful needs will compel some level of proficiency in writing
braille -- almost more important than reading it in fact.

Recognize that a blind person has very few options for important, if
mundane, tasks such as phone numbers, doctors instructions, perscription
numbers, dates and times of appointments, etc. Serial media, such as audio
tape are pretty useless. Paper based braille isn't much better--because
you can't insert text anywhere and it's very space hungry.

Certainly people have to work to learn how to write in braille. But
people have seemed willing to learn Grafitti. And, I would wager that
most BNS users write braille far better than they read it..

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Information Systems Research & Development
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

janina at afb.net