PDA's

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Sat Mar 11 11:20:58 EST 2000

<cpt.kirk at 1tree.net> writes:

> The more I look, the more I think putting together something might be the
> way to go. The question would be what is the minimal requirements for a
> usable system?

Although I agree that designing a system built totally to our specs is
an intriguing-- idea; I don't think it is really a practical idea.
The object is, correct me if I'm wrong, to come up with a low cost pda
for blind people that will compete with what is available on the
market today.  The reason for this is to provide more flexability and
ease of use in a smaller less expensive package.  If this is an
appropriate evaluation then you will be required to find something
which is already available and modify it.  There is no way that we can
produce a custom made high end device at an affordable price.  We just
don't have the cost per user ratio necessary for that.  That is why
things like the old Sharp talking clock go by the wayside.  So, if we
want to accomplish anything, then I think we should concentrate on
what's available currently off the shelf.

  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061