braille input

scott howell n3byy at speakeasy.org
Sat Mar 11 09:21:13 EST 2000

Actually the only problem with a stylus is no real tactile feedback and
your right, characters not normally used in braille. THings like ctrl alt
etc. could probably be implemented easily enough.
Touch screens would work, but you'l need that template in order to know
where to put your fingers. I imagine even a small standard keyboard would
be possible, but then there would have to be provisions for screen review
keys. Still not impossible.
Geez its been a while since I used a braille writer. Always have used a
slate and stylus. In any case the braille writer keyboard would certainly
save space and although I havent' played with the Braille-N-Speak much, I
think they've nailed down many commands. An idea along those lines would
be possible.
Lots of thoughts. I wonder if there would be a way to contact someone in
the enginering and manufacturing side of the house for comments as
well. They aren't familiar perhaps with the needs of those who would use
these devics, but they might have some thoughts on how to implement it
with the existing systems.
I know a gent who works at Sony for example although he is in the cd
pressing business. Its possible he might have a contact.
Just a thought. It would be something to see this go from an idea on a
reflector to reallity. Would be a first.