buffer overruns was Re: FW: SECURITY WATCH

brent harding bharding at greenbaynet.com
Fri Jun 30 17:01:13 EDT 2000

So just as me running a buggy program as a normal user, I could find myself
in a root shell? I get messages from my logs suggesting that the klogd
daemon gets terminated and loaded. I received it yesterday and today. I get
a lot of junk about ppp errors when the link goes down under unusual system
behavior. Is there a way of telling how the klogd process seems to restart
itself? I installed syslog-ng last night, don't know what that does, but it
might be an update, but I got the message in today's log check. I set up
the debian package logcheck that allerts the root account to unusual
activity. Most of it appears from the console, so it's probably what I did
when I typed the password fast and mistyped it several times. Does it
always say from tty1 no matter who initiated that? The logging shouldn't
stop nd restart, unless logcheck stops it to analyze it so no more data
comes in while it's working. Apparently it runs with anacron in
/etc/cron.daily.