FW: SECURITY WATCH: Network protection commentary from InfoWorld.com

brent harding bharding at greenbaynet.com
Fri Jun 30 12:17:43 EDT 2000

What do buffer overflows do to the system? Do they just make it go down, or
what? I found a security site called rootshell.com that described tons of
exploits from older versions of sendmail, wu_ftpd, and others that when
running this exploit makes some kind of buffer overflow that somehow makes
normal user have root access. How can that happen without knowing the
password or using su? Or does the person get through off of a running cron
job that has root access, taking it's process number over with their shell?
I hear a lot of hyp about what can be done to a system with various shell
scripts.