FW: SECURITY WATCH: Network protection commentary from InfoWorld.com

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Fri Jun 30 10:19:11 EDT 2000

It soubnds like a bunch of crap designed to help sell home users more
software to me. I am not saying that attacks don't happen. I have a friend
whos machine was taken over. But the tone of the message was that half our
problems would be solved if the "vunerable home users" were not out
there. Like I said, load of crap.

If the author had paid attention the distributed DOS attacks were based in
a couple universities. Of course those machine s could be secured. Then
the students wouldn't learn as much contributing to the lack of qualified
workers in the field. But hey, that is a small price to pay when someone
has a firewall product to sell.

And I would love to know why the "numerous" buffer overflow problems in
RedHat and Mandrake haven't been published. The authors failed to notice
that most of the software for those distibutions is found in many Linux
distributions. But hey, they will get a few lucrative leads for their
business of taking care of businessis in the "dot com world."

--
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

Seek simplicity -- and distrust it.