something I am not understanding

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Mon Jun 26 08:56:38 EDT 2000

Hi gang -

Actually this is just one thing among many, I am afraid - but I hope
somebody will know exactly what is amiss and help me get untangled.

I am experimenting with sending and receiving voice messages in an mp3
format. I get attached messages from a friend  that my Pine program
identifies correctly as "audio/mpeg" and I am able to just press enter and
launch my mp3 player to listen to the file - no problem.

However, when I prepare and send an mp3 file, here is what happens -
Attaching the file to a Pine email message causes the outgoing file to be
correctly identified as "audio/mpeg" but when it is received, even by
myself, it is called "octet stream application" and I cannot launch the
file player. If I "save" the attachment to a file and then launch the
player manually all is well - the file is intact and sounds correct.

How come I can correctly identify an outgoing file attachment, and yet the
same file coming in is not correctly identified? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Chuck.

My web site is http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh
Parallel lines never meet, unless you bend one or both of them.