Standalone E-Mail

brent harding bharding at greenbaynet.com
Sun Jun 25 19:21:34 EDT 2000

Wow, my isp bounces mail if I'm off for four hours, so did my previous one.
I don't know what'll happen if or when I get dsl or something. Don't know
when it'll come to our area, but a guy told me that I could run anything I
want with it, this new site bungi.com sounds promising for uucp, I've never
used that, and don't know how to configure it, but it sounds like it'll do
what I need, and it's free, I hear. I can't find the signup form on their
site though, and they say they'll feed it over the internet, how cool!!
		At 07:09 PM 6/25/00 -0400, you wrote:
>No, they do not bounce. Mail simply queus until our server is back online.
>Our current isp is concentric. Previously we were using Digex with the
>same behavior.
>
>PS: When we first set up our mail service back around 1997 we actually
>tested this by intentionally killing the sendmail processes for a weekend.
>
>On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, brent harding wrote:
>
>> Do they bounce mail right away, those warnings that listservers
>> auto-unsubscribe you because of?
>> My provider seems to be down enough to be kicked off of lists some times,
>> thanks to their majordomo bounce script. If there was intelligence in that
>> thing to not unsubscribe you because of a warning.
>> At 06:53 PM 6/25/00 -0400, you wrote:
>> >It slows the boot process considerably on my system.
>> >
>> >Also, I was not suggesting keeping a queu of outgoing mail for 4 or 5
>> >days. I was saying that our isp holds our incoming mail that long, giving
>> >us a chance to fix whatever it is that is keeping us off-line. This is
>> >sufficient to hold mail should the server go down at the beginning of a
>> >three or four day holliday weekend--assuming no one would go in just to
>> >fix mail for a company that's not open for business.

Europe,