older apollo2 does not talk

Roman Vanicek vanicek at brailcom.cz
Tue Jun 13 12:28:21 EDT 2000

Hi Kirk

    Kirk> Hi Roman: I think we need a tad more clarification.  When you
    Kirk> say it doesn't support handshaking, do you mean hardware or
    Kirk> xon/xoff?  Another question is do you have a modem at 0x3E8 by
    Kirk> chance?

No, I don't have modem there, I tried to connect Apollo only (test 1)
and both Apollo and braille terminal - Alva (test 2) which is usual
setup.

This information about handshaking may be misleading because I received
it from my colleague who purchased Apollo whom I asked for advice in the
first place and he was able to tell me more.

    Kirk> The Apolo2 at the best of times does a piss poor job of
    Kirk> handshaking.  I don't know why they designed it the way they
    Kirk> did but there is no excuse in my mind for totally violating
    Kirk> the rs-232C standard.  I had a hell of a time getting it to
    Kirk> work consistantly in the first place.

Ah, I see. It's always hard to make buggy hardware work. More praise on
you for trying to do so! :-)

    Kirk> The time outs are basically the synth not raising the CTS line
    Kirk> appropriately.  Let me know also what version of the ROM you
    Kirk> have maybe we can adjust the time out values to get to work
    Kirk> correctly.

And how can I do it - is there a command which could make Apollo to say
or to return the ROM version?

Roman