Installing Linux over the network

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.eu.org
Wed Jun 7 06:08:02 EDT 2000

No it's not.
A 1 line addition to /etc/exports of
/cdrom 192.168.1.*(ro)
and a restart of the nfs services is easier than figuring out the anonymous
permitions required to get ftp to go properly. NFS also lets clients seek on
a file rather than having them pull the whole thing down to their local hdd
before operating on it. NFS is also capable of recovering from a server
reboot in the middle of an install, since it uses udp the
connections are stateless. You can also mount a nice large filesystem on the
clinet over the network via nfs on root filesystem, and have a totally diskless
box if you desire for recovery or e2fsck purposes or for noise restrains.
Diskless boxes are the quietest of all. I have found that unless you mount
the ftp directories under /home/ftp or do amazing things with /etc/ftpusers
and /etc/ftpaccess with wu-ftpd or config files for proftp the chroot done for
anonymous users  makes large portions of your fs inaccessable.
FTP is good for internet guff or specialized apps but for large
work station installations or for little LAN setups I have found NFS simpler.

Regards, Kerry.