speakup at university

Mike Gorse mgorse at WPI.EDU
Sat Jun 3 15:44:35 EDT 2000

Using a speak-up boot disk should be a workable solution.  Also, keep in
mind that a non-kernel-based screen reader such as yasr requires access to
the tts device such as the serial or parallel port, and you would probably
not have such access by default, but hopefully the lab administrator could
give it to you if you explained your situation.

I have always avoided needing to log into lab machines directly, which
probably would have been impossible anyway since the machines in the Unix
labs (with the exception of some machines in the ECE department) are
X-terminals used to log into a server.  I have a notebook and was able to
get the Network Operations people to install an extra network drop in the
labs that I needed to be in so that I could connect my laptop and use it
to log into a server.  So you may be able to do this if you have a
notebook.  In any case, most of the cs classes that I've taken haven't had
labs; only a few of the introductory classes did.

Hope this helps.

--Michael Gorse, WPI Cs '01 / ICQ:22583968 / http://www.wpi.edu/~mgorse/ --
     If you're an oister, then don't let your perl get away from you.