speakup at university

Saqib Shaikh saqib at saqib-shaikh.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Jun 3 14:52:02 EDT 2000

hi all,
sorry for the cross posting, but i need as good as answer as there
is, as this is a pretty important decision.  i am currently using
speakup with zipslack, and find it good, since the zipspeak
distribution is the only one where you don't need to compile source
for the speech program because mr campbell has already done
that. anyway, i am really looking at the long term and in october i
will be going to university to read computer science and will be
required to use many of the laboratory computers, many running
linux. ok, the university aren't going to be kene on my patching
their kernel so that when my synth isn't connected the computer
will crash! even if it doesn't crash speakup may cause trouble with
other user's as they would still have to take heed of the speakup
hotkeys. is there a solution to this problem? wel, the first i guessis
to ask whether it wuld be possible to have my own boot disk, then
log onto the university network with speech? secondly, i'll probably
end up writing my own non kernel based screen reader! please,
anyone give advice since i believe many of you gang must be at uni
yourselves since many email addresses imply this.
thanks, regards, saqib shaikh

Looking for cheap music? Try:
http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=1349732&siteid=29120644&bfpage=m

Looking for cheap software? Try:
http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=1349732&siteid=29120644&bfpage=sw

Looking for cheap magazines? Try:
http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=1349732&siteid=29120644&bfpage=ma

Want to find great bargains on books? Try:
http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=1349732&siteid=29120644&bfpage=b

Trying to find the ideal gift for a friend? Look at:
http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=1349732&siteid=29120644&bfpage=g

Fancy getting a custom poster made? Go to:
http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=1349732&siteid=29120644&bfpage=p

Trying to find that book that has gone out of print? Pay a visit to:
http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=1349732&siteid=29120644&bfpage=oop

Interested in looking at the best books, music and software of the century? Browse to:
http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=1349732&siteid=29120644&bfpage=mi

If you want to find books, music, software, magazines and much more for great prices on the internet, then make this your first
 stop:
http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=1349732&siteid=29120644&bfpage=h

Looking for a book? Try:
http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=1349732&siteid=29120644&bfpage=s