yi.org and secondary mx

Joseph Norton jnorton at nortcom.com
Fri Jul 7 00:41:41 EDT 2000

Let me add to the comments already given on this subject.

You can't use your ISP's mail server as your secondary MX, because that
server doesn't know about mail being sent to someone at yourmachine.yi.org
(just an example).  If you set this, anyone sending a message to your
machine while you were off-line would get a bounce message from their
server (or your isp's, depending upon configuration) explaining that they
don't forward mail to yourmachine.yi.org, or something like that.  The
only way this would work is if you could find a service which would spool
your mail for you when you were off-line.  I haven't done an exhaustive
search, but, from what I've seen so far, this isn't going to be
economical.  Note that it is possible, but, I saw one service which
charged $50 per month as a minimum (I think).  I verry much doubt you will
find a free spooling service that will work in conjunction with yi.org,
but, if you do, several of us probably would like to know about it.

Tzo seems to do a fair job about mail spooling and there service seems by
far the most economical if you are willing to pay.  See my earlier message
in the archives for details.