yi.org and secondary mx

brent harding bharding at greenbaynet.com
Fri Jul 7 00:13:15 EDT 2000

It's the ability to have some host handle all mail for your domain when
you're off line. I don't know of any free ones that do it, but on the same
idea, I've got another question of whether it's easy or not. I'm wondering
if there is a free service that will give me a subdomain like
myhost.something.com and if people request port 80, 25, etc, to forward it
to an alternate port on my machine. I mean, for example,
mymachine.somehost.com port 80 forward automatically to
mymachine.somehost.com port 8000, so when port 80 or whatever port is
needed is requested, the client is automatically forwarded to the right
port. I don't have the money for corporate access accounts with cable or
dsl, and many block ports, but I'd like to be able to run my services off
of the connection easily so that the in bound port is on a nonblocked port
so things are as standard as possible, I was thinking of using the
convention of adding two zeros to the end of all port numbers to take
everything out of blocked range, easy for me to remember, but not easy to
get mail through or visit websites easily on nonstandard ports, thus the
need of forwarding, I may want to run cgis, so I probably will need control
of the system, especially admin scripts that I may use when I'm not at the
linux box so I can disable or restrict telnet to certain ips, which is hard
to do on a dynamic ip, maybe webmin or something to bring up the telnet
interface when I'm ready to use it, and shut it down when I'm through with
it, or various other interesting things, hosting them on someone else's
server would be difficult as they've got to be setuid, over the internet to
control my machine instead of their's, not only that I hate the ads and
proprietary clients many free providers use to upload, as the ftp servers
are often down, busy, or slow.