using /dev/nvram to alter cmos settings

brent harding bharding at greenbaynet.com
Tue Jul 4 00:20:23 EDT 2000

I wish I knew what I had, is there an autodetect that will tell me how to
toggle a few settings? I actually need it on my dell laptop, more than
likely the bios is made by dell, as they offer flash roms for it. What do
hex editors do? Does it actually make text out of the file you edit with,
and convert it back later? Can the setup be done over a remote connection
easily some how, have the cmos answer a modem or something so I can change
the power settings to allow me to read documents without the laptop going
on standby? It just could be that if I flash rom something that takes long
enough that the machine might just go on standby and totally make useless
the device I was working with. Why is /dev/nvram in existence, I just
loaded the module and ran MAKEDEV NVRAM because the device driver wasn't
found.
At 09:15 AM