using /dev/nvram to alter cmos settings

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.eu.org
Mon Jul 3 19:15:41 EDT 2000

/dev/nvram is a binary file. You can't easily edit binary in pico.
You'd need to use a hex editor and you'd need to recalculate the checksums
before writing the data back to cmos or the machine will hang at boot with an
invalid system configuration message.
IF you're oldschool enough to think you can do it, get a copy of Ralf Brown's
interrupt list off ftp.simtelnet.net in msdos/info, get cmos.lst, figure out
exactly what revision of what bios you have and what extended bytes in cmos
do, write a bit of software, then release it under the gpl so we can all use it :-)

Regards, Kerry.