Speakup V0.09 & new kernel 2.2.16...no talkie

brent harding bharding at greenbaynet.com
Sun Jul 2 14:21:31 EDT 2000

I think one could put append in there, don't know the exact way of doing
it, what seems even harder is to make lilo be able to answer the modem, if
I get dialin ppp going when I get a better connection. I'd have to make
sure it doesn't send a return as it'd boot to windows, and I'd have no
remote control of the system. When using ips on the local network, is it a
big issue about the windows file sharing that two people connected to my
machine by modem with for say 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 would blame me for
allowing person 1 to map person 2's c drive to their computer, seeing all
machines on my network at the time would be visible in network neighborhood
in windows? Does this only apply to the machines directly hooked by
ethernet, or does dialup connections have the same properties and abilities
that my computer could do when hooked to my laptop. I intend to just hook
the main computer to the network card and whatever kind of connection
becomes available, and have a place to hook my laptop in so I can solve the
problem of how to transfer files between the two machines, but the dialups
connected by modem off the main computer would have access to all the
devices just like I would on my laptop, right? That wouldn't be good if
they use my sound card when I'm trying to record something, I guess that's
what userdel becomes necessary for, but don't particularly want to use that
method to prevent them from using my audio devices over the network when
I'm doing stuff with it. How would I make my dialup line use the isp's dns,
as I don't even know a thing about dns config files, and updating the
millions of domains in the internic database to be able to be resolved when
I use dialup? That's one thing ipmasking won't give me, and I don't like
entering ip addresses in to my web browser and email, do I have to run dns
just to give me a dialup line to get on the net when I'm using my laptop
somewhere else, or does it use the one my regular machine is set to?