a ton of questions

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Sat Dec 30 22:19:07 EST 2000

Greg,

Linux is a beast of a different color then DOS/WINDOWS. First, there are
no drive letters here. You mount different partitions over a
directory. Then you do so, the directory will then show the contents of
the partition. The mount point (or directory) need not be empty, though if
you mount a partition on top of a directory the original contents won't be
visable. (Hope this doesn't confuse you too much.)

Also, the drives appear a bit differently in linux. (Actually NT does make
some use of the naming scheme.) The partitions are listed in a logical
order. The master drive on the main IDE channel is hda, the slave is
hdb. Then the next chanell on the IDE has hdc and hdd. As a note if you
have two drives both as master they will be hda and hdc. The first
partition on the drive is 1. The next is most likely 5.

I will give you some instructions taking some information for granted. I
am assuming that the second drive you refer to is the master on the second
ISE chain and is setup with a single fat32 partition. (Yes, I know
assumptions are dangerous.) Run the command "mount" and note what
partitions are currently mounted and where. Then make a directory where
you will mount the drive. (This is done with the "mkdir" command.) Now
type the following line:
mount -t vfat /dev/hdc1 /myseconddrive

Note that the "/myseconddrive" is the directory you want this
drive/partition to be mounted on. You probably need to do this as root. To
cause this to automatically happen when you boot to Linux, you need to
modify the /etc/fstab file. Also in case you are not familiar in
Linux/Unix we use forward slashes for our directories. It is possible to
deal with a space in the file names. To do so you must proceed the space
with a backslash. Another (perhaps easier) way is to only list enough of
the name to distinguish it then append the *. Here you can run the
command:
cd /home/bob*

It will change to the first directory under home that starts with bob.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

Cluelessness
	There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of
	inquisitive idiots